zondag, november 08, 2009

Big family


When I met my husband it turned out that he had a big family. He has 5 brothers and 3 sisters. I only have 1 sister, but a lot off cousins. I saw them not that often any more, but my husbands family I saw every week.

In first year when we met, it turned out he had two cousins who loved to sleep with us. His brother was divorced and he had his daughters every other weekend. In those weekend they always slept one night at our house. We didn't have children's yet so I had to get use to it. Most off the time we did the mattress in the living room, we made popcorn, had drinks and we watched some movies. I remember that I found it soooo very irritating that she always asked questions about the movie.....

At the time our first child was born, they still wanted to sleep over. The oldest cousin turned out to be a real mommy (she was six year old) and looked over our son.  I remember when our son just learned how to walk she was always with him to take care off him. Off course a child falls and when it happened she picked him up and said : No, he can't walk yet....

Time went by and we had a daughter. Those cousins and our children where almost always together, at the other weekend we had four children or we had none. Because our children grew older and wanted to sleep with their uncle and his daughters.
In the mean time my husbands other brother also had children, two girls. Their was a time that my children where sleeping at brother 1, the next day at brother 2 and the next weekend the slept at our place. Yes sometimes all six off them ore we had 4 children. At one point we even had 8 children over to sleep.

It was busy, but I really loved it. Waking up in the morning and hearing children voices who were talking and playing. Making a mess in the shower and they found it really funny, we didn't. In the winter when it was snowing we went outside for a walk and we trew snowballs to each other. Yes, it was busy but also a great time. We were washed out on Sunday evening, our children went to bed very early and we said to our selves "Let's not do that again".

Now the children are much older, my cousins are 19 and 18 years old, mine are 13 and 12 and the 2 girls from my husband's other brother are 7 and 9 years old. My cousins don't sleep at our house any more, they have other things on their mind!
The children of brother 2 sometimes sleep at our house, or our daughter sleeps at his house. My son doesn't want to sleep out any more.

But... my sister has 2 kids now, one is 4 years old and the other one is 2 years old. The oldest of 4 years old slept the whole weekend with us.

It seems like everything is starting al over again, a new generation is coming to sleep now. Cousins come and go and I have to say that I really love it.




1 opmerking:

  1. I love having kids around too. I have only one girl so it is quiet very often. But during the hols, she has lots of her friends sleeping over and we have sometimes 5 girls at one time. We put up the rubber pool and fill it with water and they have a great time followed by sausages, pizza and ice cream.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen